Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Bio for Jeff

Name: Jeff (that's me next to Captain Kirk)

How Many Years a Christian: Since Age 14

Educational Background: B.S. - Aerospace Engineering; M.S. - Space Sciences

Church Affiliation: Frisco Bible Church

Current Occupation(s): Software Engineer; Adjunct Faculty

Favorite author(s): Actually, I don't really have one! I usually just read what interests me regardless of the author.

Hobbies & Interests: Astronomy - really anything related to space; Apologetics;Computers; Piano;
Christian testimony and background:
My walk with Christ is pretty routine. I grew up in a Christian home that did not have a church home. I grew up attending various churches of family members.
Though a believer, I didn't have a personal relationship with Christ. My personal relationship really began through my Grandfather, who was very close to Christ, and my brother-in-law while he was studying to become a minister. Many discussions of the Bible with these two really set off a spark. During that time, my wife and I looked for a church home but were always disappointed.
Once we began to have children, we really recognized the need for finding a church home. We were lead to Frisco Bible through a co-worker of my wife.
They experienced the tragic death of a child, every one's worst nightmare. Seeing how God worked through the church and through other supernatural means really opened our eyes to the need for a personal relationship with our savior. We saw how to fill the "God-shaped hole" that we had in our lives.
My interest in science and the Bible is born out of my two passions - space and theology. Ironically, until about 10 years ago, I never really saw tension between the two. Not because I was able to reconcile the two, but because I just never really thought much about it! That all changed one afternoon when I was looking for a present for my Grandfather in a Barnes and Noble book store. While browsing, I came across a book by Gerald Schroeder called The Science of God. I was hooked!
Today, I still incorporate a lot of what I've learned in my secular Astronomy classes. I slide in discussions the universe's fine tuning and many of the ID topics. I just love it when students first realize that we are truly blessed!
In closing, I find that even though many of my students say they are Christian, VERY few see contradiction between the Bible and science...

1 comment:

TODDL said...

I love that picture. Way to go.